Thursday 25 October 2007

Not Feeling My Sisterlocks

Okay, today is a day of honesty.

I am really not feeling these sisterlocks.

First, the notion of "low" maintenance is a myth. Well, it is for me right now. Because the twisting and banding process just to wash my hair, takes at least 30 minutes and let's not talk about the de-banding process! But get this - I have to (well, I am supposed to) go through this process twice a week to encourage locking.

Okay so these sisterlocks are feeling a little high maintenance right now.

Next, let's talk about style. Now one of the MAJOR reasons for me getting sisterlocks was to be able to sport some cute hairstyles. Well, it's like I need a hair style intervention. This "Al Sharpton" curly snatch back look is getting a little old for me. And get this - the styles DON'T LAST! I might as well still be straight up natural no locks, if I gotta be re-rolling every two days.

I shared my dissatisfaction with hubbie, he told me to give it some time, so I will. We all know that I get bored easily. I wonder if I have hair ADD :-)

Peace

7 comments:

Goodnapps said...

When it comes to locking, most folks have ADD. I know I did and still have touch of it. Those benefits you mentioned do come but you have a long way to go. I hope you'll be able to hang in there. It's nice to have a supportive hubby to help as well. That in itself is quite a blessing.

Lakia said...

I have been sisterlocked for 2.5 weeks. Right now I am not styling my hair, but I do accent my hair with headbands, bows etc, or I just go free style to help boost the locking process. I know that we all at times get frustrated with our hair, but remember it is a very patient process. You'll reap what you sow. You have taken the time and money to get your locks, and along the lines you will have long beautiful locks. I'm sure of it!

Miss Twists said...

Lakia,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I am somewhat out of my "sister lock blues"!

Marcia said...

I hope the blues are ending--because after seeing you, live and in person---they really become you...You were beautiful before--and this just accents your beauty. Try to be patient---from the other blogs I read---ADD is normal, and so is being frustrated...Don't give up...and on those blues days--throw on a cute hat...(ha ha ha)

Chocolata said...

I'm glad to hear that you're out of your Sisterlock blues because I can tell from your before pictures that your locks, once they mature, are going to be the BOMB! They look nice now, but you had me so killed off when you made reference to the "Al Sharpton" snatch back - I could not stop laughing because I can totally relate.

Hang in there!

3girlsmomma said...

"Hair ADD"... I'm a Special Education Teacher by profession so that quote from your blog really spoke volumes to me. You might be on to something for real because having any loc style requires much patience.

I have found when growing locs as the hair matures so does the loc wearer.

Hair ADD indeed...hang on in there!

Natasha Dyer said...

Wow, reading the last few posts of this blog is like I wrote them myself!! I am currently 15 months into SLs and have been seriously debating on going back to my loose hair. Thanks for your post on the steps to do so. I may have hair ADD as well!